Michael’s practice for the past 13 years has provided him solid and invaluable experience analyzing and litigating complex coverage and subrogation matters. He has litigated and mediated high-value insurance cases throughout the U.S. involving commercial liability, property, environmental contamination, political risk and professional liability (including police liability, attorney malpractice, architects and engineers, insurance professional, and mortgage field services). His coverage background, thorough and professional analytical abilities, and superior writing skills make him a valuable team member.
As an East Coast transplant, Michael has adapted to all things Houston (except for the heat) and embraced an energy coverage practice, including control-of well and offshore package policies. That does not include football—being eternally optimistic, he remains a die-hard Philly Eagles fan. His commitment and devotion to clients is mirrored in his family life, where Michael and his wife, Holli, spend most of their time raising five children, while sneaking in a nap whenever possible.
Michael’s passion for the law and dedication to excellence began as a law clerk to the Honorable Burrell Ives Humphreys in the Superior Court of New Jersey. Judge Humphreys—a former New Jersey Deputy Attorney General, Appellate Division judge, and specially designated Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court on Affordable Housing matters—was a venerable mentor who believed that everyone, big and small, deserves full and fair consideration of their case and to have their story heard. Michael incorporates and exemplifies that ideal in his everyday practice.
- Senior Associate-in charge of an antitrust commercial liability coverage case involving hundreds of millions of dollars pending in California federal court and Delaware state court. Michael’s input was instrumental in obtaining no-coverage judgments from both the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Senior Attorney handling subrogation litigation in Southern District of Texas involving a workplace death, which, after successfully winning motions on anti-subrogation and Texas Oilfield Anti-Indemnity Act, was resolved on good terms for client.Extensive experience analyzing and drafting numerous coverage opinions for CGL, professional liability, environmental contamination, and control-of-well policies.
- Represented clients at dozens of mediations throughout the United States, many of which resolved on good terms for insurance clients.
- Substantial experience arguing motions in New York, New Jersey, and Texas courts.
- James E. Beasley School of Law, Temple University, J.D., 2003 (Graduated in top 5% of class; Dean’s List all six semesters; Temple American Inn of Court member; “Distinguished Class Performance” in Bankruptcy, Business Associations, Civil Procedure, Conflict of Laws, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Evidence, International Commercial Transactions, Legal Decision Making, Payment Systems, Property, Securities Regulations, Taxation, Torts, and Trusts & Estates; “Highest Grade” in Business Taxation, Secured Transactions, Securities Regulation, Taxation, and Trusts & Estates)
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, B.A., 1997, cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Bankruptcy
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
Outside the Office
What I do when not practicing law
Are you kidding? I have five kids—there is no free time—there are just moments of reprieve.
Favorite vacation spot
Going home to New Jersey to visit family, but more importantly, eating Jersey Pizza and bagels!
Favorite sports team
New Jersey Pizza, now followed closely by some Houston BBQ.
Most satisfying professional accomplishment
Having the opportunity to settle a case on behalf of a sole-practitioner, real estate attorney who was sued by a bank to personally repay hundreds of thousands of dollars after being the target of sophisticated fraud. After negotiating a fair settlement with the bank, the insured thanked me with tears in her eyes, joyously exclaiming that her family would not have to declare bankruptcy!
Quote I live by
“It makes all the difference whether you see light in the darkness or darkness in the light.”