Matt aspired to be a trial lawyer when he was in high school. When this aspiration came to fruition, Matt dedicated himself to put his all into every case he handles regardless of size or complexity. Matt eagerly represents both plaintiffs and defendants in energy, oil and gas, personal injury, property damage, transportation, insurance, subrogation and breach of contract matters.
Matt represents clients before juries, judges and arbitrators, in both state and federal courts. In every case, he is driven to find the best solution for his clients. With numerous trials under his belt, Matt is willing to do whatever it takes to help his clients achieve their goals, whether through settlement, motion practice or trial.
Matt considers himself a native Houstonian. Matt lived in Houston, Texas as a child and then attended high school in Henderson, Texas. He obtained his degree in Finance from Stephen F. Austin State University and then returned to Houston to attend law school at South Texas College of Law. After graduating law school, Matt was a trial attorney for nine years at a mid-sized litigation firm in Houston prior to joining Hall Maines Lugrin.
- On a trial team that represented Defendant in a property damage lawsuit involving a gas explosion in Harris County District Court. Helped obtain a defense verdict absolving Defendant from liability.
- Represented Plaintiff in an arbitration in Iowa concerning a property damage subrogation claim.
- On trial team that represented Defendant in a Uniform Commercial Code breach of express warranty lawsuit in Harris County District Court. Prepared Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict which was granted, reversed the verdict and prevailed on appeal.
- On trial team that represented Defendants truck driver and trucking company in personal injury lawsuit in Harris County District Court. Obtained a verdict absolving Defendants of liability.
- On trial team that represented Defendants in a fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and Theft Liability Act trial in Harris County, Texas. The case settled favorably during trial.
- Obtained a $625,000 verdict in his client’s favor in a breach of contract trial involving a sales commission agreement.
- On trial team that represented Defendant in a jewelry store robbery in Travis County District Court. Helped obtain a verdict drastically lower than the last settlement offer.
- On trial team for an eight figure Admiralty subrogation case in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas concerning property damage to a subsea pipeline caused by a semi-submersible drilling rig. The case settled favorably during trial.
- On trial team that represented Defendant in a property damage and personal injury lawsuit involving a gas explosion in Harris County District Court. Helped obtain a defense verdict absolving Defendant from liability.
- On trial team that represented Defendant production platform operator in an Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act personal injury trial in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas Galveston Division. Helped obtain a defense verdict absolving Defendant from liability.
- On trial team that represented Defendant in an automobile accident trial. Helped obtain a verdict several hundred thousands of dollars below the last settlement offer.
- On trial team that represented Defendant in a trucking accident trial. Helped obtain a verdict absolving Defendant of liability.
- Obtained Summary Judgment in favor of Defendants in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas Houston Division in an offshore personal injury lawsuit under Alaska law. The Summary Judgment was appealed. Matt drafted Appellees’ Brief to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and was affirmed.
- Obtained Summary Judgment in favor of Defendant in Jefferson County, Texas in a personal injury lawsuit involving a rotating contractor insurance program. Prepared Appellee’s Brief, argued oral argument and was affirmed by the 9th Court of Appeals, Beaumont, Texas.
South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2009, cum laude (South Texas College of Law Student Faculty Committee, Corporate Counsel Review (Note Editor))
Stephen F. Austin State University, B.B.A., Finance, 2006, magna cum laude
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Houston Claims Association, Board Member, 2015-present
2015-2016: Vendor Member at Large
2016-2017: Sergeant At Arms
- American Bar Association Admiralty Litigation Committee, 2016-present
Texas Bar Association
American Bar Association
Houston Claims Association
- Tex-La History, How our History Affects Claims, Lloyd’s Under 35 Energy & Marine Group, 2014, (authored and presented)
- Texas Claims – What You Don’t Know May Cost You, Texas Independent Insurance Adjusters Association, 2016 (co-authored and presented)
- Texas Claims – What You Don’t Know May Cost You, Original Women in Claims Houston, 2016 (co-authored and co-presented)
- Governmental Investigatory Reports and Findings – What is Admissible?, American Bar Association Admiralty Litigation Section Committee, 2016 (authored)
Outside the Office
What I do when not practicing law
Spend time with my wife and my two children. I coach my son’s basketball team, watch my daughter tumble and dance and keep the scorebook for my son’s baseball team. Most importantly, I try my best to keep my wife happy.
Favorite sports teams
Houston Astros, Houston Texans, Houston Rockets and Tottenham Hotspur #COYS
A “good” cheeseburger.
Most satisfying professional accomplishment
Becoming a licensed attorney and sharing the experience with my wife.