With 23 years of experience, Laura Cormier Capshaw focuses her practice in the areas of civil litigation matters, including representing insurers in insurance coverage, personal injury, property damage, contractual indemnity and subrogation litigation. Managing cases primarily in the context of offshore and onshore energy-industry casualties and claims, Laura has handled coverage matters under various types of insurance policies for the London Underwriters, the London Market insurance companies and domestic insurance companies, including commercial general liability, excess, directors and officers' liability and professional liability policies.
Licensed to practice in both Texas and Massachusetts, Laura’s practice involves providing coverage opinions and advice to insurance carriers, representing insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation, and motion and appellate work in civil defense litigation cases, including a successful appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
Laura started her legal career at Phelps Dunbar and learned early on that helping her clients be successful meant understanding their legal issues in the context of their business and tackling her cases with energy, zest and passion.
- Participated in defending London-based insurance underwriters from an operator’s efforts to claim coverage for over $20 million under an OEE policy for well control and pollution claims.
- Managed critical functions for posting a $100 million supersedeas bond on a large excess coverage case for London-based insurance underwriters, and provided strategic advice and expertise to defense counsel during appeals to various Texas courts of appeal and the Texas Supreme Court.
- Participated in representing London-based insurance underwriters in subrogated claims arising under builders risk policy against Spanish chain manufacturer for chain failure causing excess of $140 million damage to risers on subsea production facility, and managed coordination of multiple international insurers on the risk with drafting and obtaining required documents and pleadings to support subrogation suits in multiple venues.
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1992, cum laude
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1989, cum laude
- Junior League of Houston
- National Charity League, West Houston Chapter
- Board of Directors, Spartanaire Booster Club
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Coverage for Harassment and Discrimination under the Employers' Liability Section of a Workers' Compensation Policy, Recent Developments in Insurance Coverage Litigation, Tort & Insurance Law Journal, Winter 2001
- Developments in Emerging Mass Tort and Latent Exposure Claims, Recent Developments in Insurance Coverage Litigation, Tort & Insurance Law Journal, Winter 2000
Outside the Office
Favorite sports team
I grew up in Marblehead, Massachusetts so I am a big fan of all Boston sports teams. However, after living in the South for over 18 years, my husband has dubbed me a “southern fried yankee.”
Favorite vacation spot
Most satisfying personal accomplishment
Being a mother.