When a case requires the captain’s bell for “full speed ahead,” Evan Caffrey responds as the litigator who can see it through. With over 24 years of experience in litigating, mediating, and arbitrating disputes arising out of the marine and energy industries, Evan recognizes that commercial litigation involving personal injury, property damage, business interruption, indemnity, and insurance coverage requires full development of complex and technical facts. Energized by diving deep, other distinctive qualities of Evan’s practice include the ability to recognize critical case elements and the capacity for interfacing with experts, clients, opposing counsel, and colleagues. He has the experience and skill set to shift seamlessly between camaraderie and confrontation when a client faces obstructionist tactics, and the professionalism to keep a case on course and above board.
Evan’s role as an advocate for his clients marks the intersection of maritime and energy. Prior to college and law school, Evan spent four years in the U.S. Navy as a boiler technician on the Destroyer USS HULL (DD-945). This solid grounding in mechanics serves Evan and the firm’s clients particularly well in cases involving engineering processes, product failures, fires, collisions, and other casualties in the marine and oil and gas industries.
- Lead counsel in arbitration of multi-million dollar vessel charter disputes for oilfield diving contractor.
- Assisted in defense of multi-million dollar coverage disputes arising from oil and gas well blowouts.
- First and second-chair responsibility for litigation of large-scale vessel collisions and allisions.
- First and second-chair responsibility for litigation of coverage disputes under general-liability, excess/umbrella-liability, well-control, and hull-and-machinery insurance policies.
- Assisted in recovery actions on behalf of subrogated insurers, working interest owners, and uninsured interests arising out of down-hole tool failures, platform and pipeline allisions, and construction defects.
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1990, cum laude
- Northern Arizona University, B.A., 1987, magna cum laude
- Cochise College, A.A., 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Courts of Louisiana (all districts)
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, Baker Donelson, 2008
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Pro-bono general counsel, USS Orleck Naval Museum, Inc.
- Houston Bar Association
Outside the Office
What I do when not practicing law
Spend time with my family and home repair projects.
Quote I live by
“Honesty is something you can't wear out.”