Having practiced trial law for over 12 years, Amanda Kujda knows that the client’s goals are the core of any lawsuit. Amanda’s highest priority is the client, and from filing through trial every strategic decision is focused on obtaining her client’s goals. She began her legal career in Louisiana focusing on insurance defense cases involving injured workers both offshore and onshore and premises liability. She also handled several commercial general liability and professional liability coverage cases.
Following Hurricane Katrina, Amanda quickly embraced the world of commercial litigation and energy risk coverage litigation when she moved back to her roots in Texas and joined Hall Maines Lugrin over 10 years ago. Seeing an opportunity to transfer her skill set to complex litigation, Amanda welcomed the transition and has enjoyed helping her clients reach their business goals ever since.
Over the years, Amanda has represented energy companies, insurance underwriting syndicates, offshore drilling and subsea construction companies and oil service companies. Today, her work focuses on energy and business litigation, insurance coverage and breach of contract cases in both Louisiana and Texas.
- On the trial team for a world-scale petrochemical manufacturer and supplier in a claim against a buyer for breach of an open price term sales agreement. The buyer asserted counterclaims for price discrimination, fraud, and breach of the UCC's duty of good faith, and sought over $5 million dollars in damages. The jury returned a unanimous verdict in favor of our client.
- Extensive motion drafting experience, including drafting and responding to numerous motions for summary judgment and questioned fact witnesses during one week trial for insurer regarding coverage owed under an energy package policy and related defense of bad faith insurance claim.
- Represented the interests of insurers and energy companies in numerous oil and gas well blowout recovery actions involving damages ranging to $100 million dollars.
- Facilitated insurers in non-litigious resolution of nearly $1 billion dollars in claims resulting from damages caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Defense of professional liability claim and related bad faith insurance claim arising out of nursing home litigation in Oklahoma.
- On the team that represented insurers in a $50 million dollar coverage dispute in Texas state court arising out of the loss of various platforms during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Extensive motion drafting experience, including drafting and responding to numerous motions for summary judgment, defended and obtained numerous fact and expert witnesses for London insurers in a $50 million dollar coverage dispute in Louisiana federal court arising out of a lost platform and various wells as a result of Hurricane Ivan. The matter was settled positively for London insurers prior to trial.
- On the team that successfully represented and achieved settlement for exploration and production company of actual damages prior to trial in $5 million dollar products liability case.
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- (Clinics and Legal Skills Committee, CALI Award of Excellence – Tax-Advanced Partnership Tax, Business Law Society, Voluntary Income Tax Assistance, Who’s Who Among American Law Students)
- Baylor University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2000
- (Phi Beta Kappa, Recipient of Presidential Award Scholarship, Dean’s List, Golden Key International Honor Society, Alpha Chi National Honor Society, Named Baylor’s Top 100 Freshmen)
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Courts of Louisiana (all districts)
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association (member, HIV/AIDS Outreach Committee)
- How to Document Your Good Faith; How to Investigate a Claim without Looking Under Every Rock; How to Rescue a Claim with Outside-the-Box Solutions; How to Tackle Fraud, 18th Annual Insurance Law Institute, panel speaker, University of Texas Continuing Legal Education, 2013
Outside the Office
What I do when not practicing law
I love watching cooking shows and attempting to cook new meals. I enjoy running, which is needed after all the decadent meals.
Favorite sports team
My husband and I both went to Baylor University. We are season ticket holders for the football season and enjoy all things Baylor.
Favorite vacation spot
Anywhere that has a beach, sunshine and blue waters.